PaulDotCom mailing list archives

NSLU2 replacement?

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 13:53:10 -0500

The problem with consumer devices is that the hardware is not "open"
and future revisions could mean hardware changes. With minipici we van
control the hardware

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 5, 2009, at 11:45 AM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

2009/3/5 Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek at irongeek.com>:
I'm thinking of doing some research into drop boxes (please let me
know if
there is already a name for them), little computers you leave at a
site that
allow you to get into the network and pivot around firewalls by
shoveling a
shell back to your host outside of the network. The NSLU2 is no
longer being
made, and my understanding is the nas200 is not as hackable. Any
ideas on
other good dropboxes (by the way, have I coined a new term :) )?

If all you are after is a box to pivot from then the basic Fon is a
good cheap device. Does wired and wireless and has some storage.

Robin