PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Opinions on Hacking Exposed 6th Edition

From: kitchetech at gmail.com (matt donovan)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:20:56 -0500

2009/1/25 Adrian Crenshaw <irongeek at irongeek.com>

I recently picked up Hacking Exposed 6th Edition from a local library to
take a peek. One of the things I noticed in the 5th edition was a lack
luster coverage of cracking Windows SAM files. All they seem to want to talk
abut is pwdump and having to have admin access to get the hashes, but they
don't seem to talk about the other ways. I see no mention of the fact you
can just boot from CD/USB, copy off the SAM and SYSTEM files, pull syskey
out of SYSTEM and crack the hashes in the SAM with tools like Ophcrack, Cain
and a few others. Do they just add new material each edition and not go back
to review the older sections for new/better ways to accomplish the task?
What are your opinions on the Hacking Exposed series?

Adrian