PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Want to get into malware analysis

From: pj_mcgarvey at hotmail.com (PJ McGarvey)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:21:17 -0500

I also recommend the SANS ISC blog postings, some of the ones on SQL Injection and Javascript are very good.

A coworker has the books from the SANS Reverse Engineering class, and they are also a good starting point for doing
Reverse engineering.

If you come across malware at work, submit it to some of the online sandbox sites, threatexpert, cwsandbox, anubis,
etc. and after analysis study what the malware does.  I know CWSandbox does a chronological order report of what file,
network, process activity the malware sample exhibits.

I have a book on order called "Malware forensics" that sounded pretty good.

I've gotten part of the way through "Hacking: Art of Exploitation 2nd Ed." it has chapters on programming, crypto and
other stuff.  Very heavy for my non-programmer brain, but very interesting nonetheless.

-PJ

matt donovan schrieb:> > 2009/1/23 xgermx <xgermx at gmail.com>> >> >> Read through the SANS ISC blogs. They offer a
lot of good starting points.> >>> >> 2009/1/23 matt donovan <kitchetech at gmail.com>> >>> >>> Since this field
interests me so much. I decided to learn more about it.> >>>> >>>> >>> I am already planning to buy Applied
Cryptography, 2nd Edition to learn> >>> about some Cryptography. Is there any other books that people might> >>>
recommend.> >>>> >>> I m looking into buying Malware: Fighting Malicious Code as well.> >>>> >>> Should I buy a C
programming book to go along as well. I already know> >>> Java(Learned it in college).> >>> >> >> > Well I already
have two assembly books. So I can just pull those out if I> > have to guess I can grab some code from offensive
computing to look at the> > assembly. The Crypto book is mainly to learn more about bitwise math so that> > I can
look at the behavorial side a bit more if I run across some malware.> >> Moin!> > Did somebody jet mention Chris
Eagle's IDA Pro book?> If not, well... ;) Furthermore Kris Kasperski has some books:>
http://www.openrce.org/forums/posts/368, openly available.> > - OpenRCE is Windows focused> - it offerers a great
variety of tutorials for starters and a community> > - if you're serious do some kind of training, just for the
papers> - and never forget: who loves coding loves reversing. ;)> It's not the other way around.> > - Buying Malware?
There're lots of archives. No one who's got a Spam> folder...> Tryout Honeytrap or Nepenthes. These are honeypots.> >
- some books about Secure Coding seem to be near to the topic, too:> maybe Robert Seacord's "Secure Coding in C and
C++" or C's secure coding> standards.> Maybe "Writing Secure Code" by Michael Howard and David LeBlanc. Or "The> Art
Of Assembly> Language" by Randall Hyde.> > Have fun,> wishi> > > > > _______________________________________________>