PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Recommended practices for physically securing PC's

From: morris.tech at gmail.com (Craig Morris)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:04:59 +0300

Hi folks, we have just had a weird incident where someone stole 3 sticks of
RAM from a PC located on a desk in a cubicle.   Bearing in mind we have key
card access to the building etc, but not the specific floor - that's open
once inside the building.

To combat this, we are taking the usual steps of key card access to the
floor, moving the desktop PC to a locked room, securing the physical case
with the case lock (probably not the most effective deterrent)

We also have physical security guards who check bags etc on entry and exit
but they can barely spell PC, forget about ID'ing a stick of RAM or HDD.

We are considering using cable locks on the laptops located in cubicles, and
possibly on desktop PC's as well.

All of which is good and will assist in preventing the theft of an entire
unit but won't prevent someone from stealing components - I don't place much
faith in the case locks.

So the question is, what's the practice for securing the components ?  We
don't want anything too draconian (like CCTV in work areas) or physically
guards on each floor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Craig