oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh server compromise

From: Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum () oracle com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 20:32:42 +0100

On 29/03/2024 19:54, Ivan Delalande wrote:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 08:51:26AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
For which the exploit code was then adjusted:
https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz/commit/6e636819e8f070330d835fce46289a3ff72a7b89

Given the activity over several weeks, the committer is either directly
involved or there was some quite severe compromise of their
system. Unfortunately the latter looks like the less likely explanation, given
they communicated on various lists about the "fixes" mentioned above.
Knowing this, I hope the recent kernel patch series involving the same
person to some degree will get extra scrutiny:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20240320183846.19475-1-lasse.collin () tukaani org/t/

I *think* this patch series is safe and was just pushed to make more
people upgrade to newer versions faster (you'll notice the BCJ filters
are Co-developed-by: Jia -- not implying that Lasse was acting in bad
faith here).

Of course it still deserves more scrutiny...

Vegard