oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: illumos (or at least danmcd) membership in the distros list

From: Dan McDonald <danmcd () mnx io>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 04:09:53 +0000

On Sep 13, 2023, at 6:39 PM, Katherine Mcmillan <kmcmi046 () uottawa ca> wrote:

Hi Dan,

Hello.

I saw your email about joining oss-security, and I think it’s a wonderful idea for illumos. I am fully in support of
this, and I’m wondering: is there a Foundation of any kind behind illumos? Are there any conferences dedicated to
illumos or SmartOS?

illumos is very VERY loosely governed by its core team.  We don't have a foundation, just a cooperation of several
stakeholders (most of whom have their own illumos distros).

We don't have dedicated conferences either (though apparently every-four-years dtrace.conf, an
OpenSolaris-turned-illumos-and-more unconference, is going to happen in 2024 again after pandemic-cancelled 2020 one).

Sorry I don't have better answers there,
Dan