oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Handling of embargoed security issues -- security@korg vs. linux-distros@

From: Miroslav Benes <mbenes () suse cz>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 10:46:09 +0200 (CEST)

[ apologies for a slight off topic ]

Hi,

On Fri, 25 Aug 2023, Donald Buczek wrote:

We go a long way to avoid rebooting. This might be as easy as disabling
unused dynamic modules by just removing the .ko files from userspace,
but sometimes we even convert an upstream fix into a loadable module
which uses ftrace to replace or wrap the buggy functions in the running
systems. A "reboot party" would only be a measure of last resort.

the kernel live patching infrastructure might help you with this. See
Documentation/livepatch/ and samples/livepatch/ in the kernel tree.

Regards,
Miroslav