oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: PostgreSQL and CREATEROLE permission

From: Bernd Zeimetz <bernd () bzed de>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 20:39:36 +0200

Hi,

This information showed up on the pgsql-general mailing list at [1].
It appears a user with CREATEROLE can elevate to root through
pg_execute_server_program.[2]

really root? As I understand it you gain access to the DB superuser (usually
the postgres user) only. Although I could imagine that you could trick
careless admins into giving you root permissions on that way...

Bernd