oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: DO NOT OPEN PREVIOUS MAIL Re: [oss-security] Denial of service in GnuPG

From: Demi Marie Obenour <demi () invisiblethingslab com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 07:02:59 -0400

On 2022-07-04, Jakub Wilk wrote:
As a data point, if Mutt has pgp_auto_decode=yes ("automatically attempt
to decrypt traditional PGP messages") in the config, it will trigger the
DoS when you view the message.

Hmm - I think you don't even need auto_decode, because x-action parameters
can trigger automatic decryption in mutt.

There's an example message here: https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/issues/405

(And it seems that if you lose patience waiting for the message to show
up and press ctrl+backslash in attempt to make it quit, it will actually
hang forever.)

I think you need at least something like max-output 104857600 in
gnupg.conf if you don't want trivial DoS pranks to be possible :)

Tavis.

I don't think this one is impacted by max-output.  Worse, I was told
“Not a bug, sorry” by Werner.

Was adding compression to PGP even a good idea in the first place?
Becuase it seems to have some of the same problems that compression in
TLS and SSH do, not to mention creating a trivial DoS.  If it were not
for OpenPGP being an archival format I would suggest ditching it
outright.
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)