oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: zlib memory corruption on deflate (i.e. compress)

From: John Helmert III <ajak () gentoo org>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 08:59:35 -0500

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 08:49:49PM -0700, Tavis Ormandy wrote:
Greetings list, I was recently trying to track down a reproducible crash
in a compressor. Believe it or not, it really was a bug in
zlib-1.2.11 when compressing (not decompressing!) certain inputs.

I reported it upstream, but it turns out the issue has been public since
2018, but the patch never made it into a release. As far as I know,
nobody ever assigned it a CVE.

CVE-2018-25032 appears to have been assigned for it now.

https://github.com/madler/zlib/commit/5c44459c3b28a9bd3283aaceab7c615f8020c531

As far as I can tell, no distros have picked this up.

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso () sdf org