oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Linux kernel: multiple vulnerabilities in the USB subsystem x2

From: Jeremy Stanley <fungi () yuggoth org>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 18:02:14 +0000

On 2019-08-22 13:57:53 -0400 (-0400), Perry E. Metzger wrote:
Are these even realistic?   If I'm going to leave malicious
USB devices in the parking lot for mischief am I going to rely
on the unknown victim running a Linux distro with the
requisite kernel modules or am I going to just drop a cheap
and near-universal USB killer?

Android phones run Linux. People routinely plug those phones in to USB
charging stations in airports, on airplanes, at booths in public
places, etc.

Exploitation of which is commonly referred to as "juice jacking"[*]
and has led to a booming demand for "USB condoms" lately.

[*] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juice_jacking
--
Jeremy Stanley