oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

From: Ian Zimmerman <itz () very loosely org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 08:08:36 -0700

On 2019-06-21 10:57, Simon McVittie wrote:

If upstream projects have a stable branch that is genuinely stable
and bugfix-only to minimize the risk of regressions, and encourage
downstream distributions to align on the latest stable branch during
their development phase, then I think that goes a long way towards this.
If I understand correctly, PostgreSQL is one of the canonical examples of
a project that does this, and gets its upstream point releases included
in stability-focused projects like Debian as-is.

Doesn't this simply shift the work of backporting ("crazy and bound to
always fail in the end") from the distro maintainer to the upstream
stable branch maintainer?  He/she is more like "midstream" working in
that role.