oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Thousands of vulnerabilities, almost no CVEs: OSS-Fuzz

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 21:29:14 +0200

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 12:08:20PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2019, Solar Designer wrote:

Some people have interpreted this as implying there are ">100 security
bugs OSS-Fuzz found and publicly disclosed [...], and which still have
not been fixed" specifically in ImageMagick.  However, at the link you
referenced there are currently "only" 38 bugs specifically in
ImageMagick, with the rest of the >100 being in other projects:

Using the ordinary public access I have, I see that ImageMagick has
129 open issues, and 1479 issues in total.  There are surely issues
that I can not see yet since they are hidden for up to 90 days.

I guess this is a distinction between all open deadline-exceeded issues
(129) and only deemed security ones out of those (38).

Removing "Type=Bug-Security status:New", but keeping
"label:Deadline-exceeded" does show 129 issues for ImageMagick.

Also removing "label:Deadline-exceeded" still results in 129, perhaps
because I'm not authorized to see other open issues.

I am unfamiliar with OSS-Fuzz.  Please correct me if I got this wrong.

Alexander