oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: systemd fails to parse user that should run service

From: Robert Scheck <robert () fedoraproject org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 23:14:51 +0200

On Wed, 05 Jul 2017, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 13:28:43 +0100 Ben Tasker <ben () bentasker co uk>
wrote:
FWIW, I'd be inclined to agree that it needs a CVE so that
downstream distro's can at least refer to it, and decide how (and
if) they want to address it.

+1

I don't care much if the developers deny that this is a problem. It is
a problem.

+1 for both, the CVE and that this is a problem. The service should not be
started with more (!) permissions simply if parsing username fails. As a
security sensitive guy I do not want to see a random software started with
root permissions, because the random username fails to be parsed by some
systemd code.

Regards,
  Robert