oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: independent volunteers on distros list

From: Josh Bressers <josh () bress net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 20:40:50 -0500

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Solar Designer <solar () openwall com> wrote:

Specifically, at this time I am going to subscribe Tavis Ormandy, who
happens to have been on vendor-sec.  I've already discussed this with
him, and he agreed.

I first brought this to distros list itself yesterday (after some
private discussions with some individual distros, both recently and way
earlier), and received no objections.  Some of the subscribed distros'
representatives spoke in favor of this change (some on the list, some
privately to me) and some also made comments (in particular, that we
should emphasize that "the volunteer subscriptions will be of them as
individuals, unrelated to their employment ...", which I did above).

I'd appreciate any further comments that the broader community might
have, but for now it's a decision made and I'll proceed.

I've had views on about every side of this topic in the past and I've not
been involved with distros for quite some time.

However ...

This strikes me as a wise decision. The work Tavis has been doing lately is
quite good, and I have no doubt his wisdom and knowledge would go a long
way on the distros list.

Good luck to both of you ;)

--
    JB