oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: MITRE is adding data intake to its CVE ID process

From: Simon McVittie <smcv () debian org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:37:48 +0000

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 at 13:09:43 -0500, Stiepan wrote:
By the way, I have just tried the OVE ID alternative:
good idea, but perhaps one button is a bit too frugal.

The purpose of OVE IDs is literally only creating a unique identifier
that no other maintainer or security researcher will be using to
identify a different vulnerability. That's all they are. How you
publish the vulnerability for which you have used the identifier
is up to you.

They're slightly more readable and memorable than using
/proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid to allocate identifiers, and they give
you some vague idea of how old the vulnerability report is. That's about
the only difference.

(Hmm, now I'm tempted to use /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid next
time I need a unique ID for a vulnerability that's already public...)

P.S.: While we're at it, let's use the two OVEs I have just wasted,
OVE-20170210-0001 (forward CVE web request+ID to oss-sec)
OVE-20170210-0002 (add a title option field to OVE web form),
for the two aforementioned issues!

I'm pretty sure those aren't security vulnerabilities in any product :-P