oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE requests: OpenBSD httpd - 2 DoS

From: Pierre Kim <pierre.kim.sec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 09:31:30 +0100

Hello,

[...]

DoS: CPU exhaustion with SSL client-initiated renegotiation,

Is this a public vulnerability? It does not have any obvious match with the
latest https://github.com/openbsd/src/commits/master/usr.sbin/httpd commits.

From OpenBSD team:

o High CPU usage is a well-known issue of client-initiated
renegotiation.  While this can cause higher than normal CPU usage, the
processes are still able to service requests.
As httpd uses LibreSSL's libtls, a sane TLS API on top of libssl, we
decided to disable client-initiated renegotiation for libtls servers
in -current. This change was already planned and has now been
committed to LibreSSL.

libssl http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=148587695222112&w=2
libtls http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=148587827322528&w=2

If you think it doesn't deserve a CVE, then I will publish the advisory without.
From my tests, during an attack, the httpd has some difficulties to
provide replies to clients.

Regards,

--