oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Fuzzing project brainstorming

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg () fifthhorseman net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:31:51 -0500

On 11/20/2014 02:23 PM, Hanno Böck wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:52:15 -0800
"M.T. Roebuck" <marvint.roebuck () inbox lv> wrote:

Maybe my problem is that your proposal seems herculean to me but
can't help to think it's a reminder or sign that we need to think
past the current state of things.

Compared to "starting from scratch" starting such a fuzzing project is
not herculean, it's more like grabbing the low hanging fruit.

But arguments alike come up every now and then. Basically you'll hear
two things: "We have to mitigate / sandbox" and "please rewrite
everything in [insert favorite non-C programming language]".

I don't want to downplay either of these approaches. It's just that you
have to be realistic. Nobody will rewrite everything from scratch in
rust/go/haskell/whatever any time soon. There are a few interesting
projects that try to rewrite key sofware in safer languages (mitls and
servo come to mind), but they are few and none of them is in a
production state.

Our systems we have today - the ones we use to have this discussion,
manage our bank accounts and surf the web - have imperfect software
written mostly in unsafe languages. I feel fuzzing can improve the
state of things a lot.

I agree with this sentiment.  I also think this is likely to be a
herculean effort, and hopefully not quite a sisyphean one (the boulder
should be able to move up the hill a little bit each time).

I'm really happy that you're pushing on this, Hanno.

even if the only thing that comes out of it is a classification of which
projects/libraries insist on "trusted input" that would be a very useful
outcome.

        --dkg