oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash (3rd vulnerability)

From: Osmond Sun <osmond.sun () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:01:47 +0800

I found the function parsing is still imperfect.
e.g. $env x="() { :;}; `touch vulnerablefile`" bash -c "echo this is a test "

On 29/09/2014 12:17, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

HI Chet, As you are aware, a sixth security issue has been discovered.
Due to the nature of the vulnerability, I believe that it's best to
break backward compatibility as done by FreeBSD and NetBSD until a
proper patch is developed. We are lucky to have security researchers
reporting their findings publicly. What about others that don't ? I
strongly believe that it's much safer to have it disabled, and have a
complete and comprehensive audit of the source code, and then
re-enable it.

Am I the only one who is wondering: Who is paying Chet to do this?

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd