oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2014-4014: Linux kernel user namespace bug

From: Andy Lutomirski <luto () amacapital net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 12:27:39 -0700

On 06/18/2014 12:16 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
Am 17.06.2014 23:47, schrieb Andy Lutomirski:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Andy Lutomirski <luto () amacapital net> wrote:
The internal function inode_capable was used inappropriately.
Depending on configuration, this may be usable to escalate privileges.
A cursory inspection of my Fedora box suggests that it is not
vulnerable to the obvious way to exploit this bug.

The fix should appear in Linus' -master shortly, and it's tagged for
stable.  In the mean time, I've attached it here.

The commit that fixes this is:

23adbe12ef7d3d4195e80800ab36b37bee28cd03

Do you happen to know in which kernel version
this bug got introduced?

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been there since user
namespaces were introduced.  I think that user namespace-enabled kernels
are unlikely to be found in the wild before 3.12 or so.

--Andy