oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: docker VMM breakout

From: Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 10:05:35 -0400

On 06/18/2014 09:39 AM, Sven Kieske wrote:
Am 18.06.2014 12:15, schrieb David Jorm:
I tested libvirt via virsh and by default both CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH and
CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE are available (and thus the PoC does run). However,
this default is well documented as is the general insecurity of libvirt
in regards to DAC, so I don't think a CVE ID is required for libvirt.
I fail to see why this should be true.
On most distributions libvirt spawned vms do not run as root but as user
qemu or similar.
according to the documentation at:
http://libvirt.org/drvqemu.html#securitycap

this should imply that libvirt drops these capabilities.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Why is this assumed a problem.

CONTAINERS DO NOT CONTAIN.  Root inside the container == Root outside
the container.

This is true in both libvirt-sandbox/libvirt-lxc and docker.

We have a long way to go before we can run anything within a container
without this rule.

User Namespace, SELinux or other MAC are all required to get us near the
point where Container Contain.

People who run services within a container should continue to drop privs
in the services and run them as UID!=0