oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: sos: /etc/fstab collected by sosreport, possibly containing passwords

From: "Vincent Danen" <vdanen () redhat com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 11:58:38 -0600

On 05/29/2014, at 13:20 PM, Kurt Seifried wrote:

On 05/29/2014 12:57 PM, Dolev Farhi wrote:
I tend to agree with most of this actually, but since sosreport is
there to collect information for troubleshooting issues only, then
there is no actual reason not to remove the pw field of a mount in
fstab, even though the file is world readable in the first place. I
do agree that this widens the scope from Red Hats side especially
while most of the time it would be close to impossible to prevent
password disclosures in configuration files, especially when it
depends on the random way a sysadmin alters config files. Best
practice is to use the credentials option and point fstab to read
the mount username and password from a file but there are multiple
ways to achieve the same goal. I am not sure regarding the
necessity of a CVE here, though I dont see much of a difference
between this to any other password disclosures (such as grub.conf)
discovered in sosreport in the past, except that fstab is world
readable. On both cases the problem is that this file is handled by
3rd parties.

Thanks

-- Dolev Farhi

So /etc/fstab is world readable, within that system. The file is then
being exported to Red Hat, we don't really need or want the password,
we also make an effort to sanitize the data sent, so if nothing else
this falls into the "intended/advertised security feature that failed"
and would qualify for a CVE as such as I understand things.

I very much disagree with this.  We don't advertise that we scrub all data and neuter your report of all potentially
sensitive things.  In fact, we pretty much say the opposite when you run sosreport.  It was never intended or
advertised that we removed anything (we just happen to remove stuff that we very obviously don't want, like keytabs and
obvious places for password storage).

I did see MITRE's response and they did assign a CVE to RHEL5's implementation precisely because it does not have this
warning (like RHEL6 and Fedora do).  I can't disagree with their rationale for the assignment for RHEL5's version of
sosreport.

--
Vincent Danen / Red Hat Product Security