oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: Kernel PID Spoofing Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

From: Petr Matousek <pmatouse () redhat com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:30:52 +0200

On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 11:23:49AM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 08:30:05PM -0600, Kurt Seifried wrote:
Please use CVE-2013-4300 for this issue.

Stupid Q, any reason why this couldn't be sent to
http://oss-security.openwall.org/wiki/mailing-lists/distros to give
vendors a heads up (also we can get it a CVE prior to public release
then)?

The original patch was sent to netdev and lkml publicly from the start.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/8/22/462

We do have someone who is supposed to forwarding security bugs from
security () kernel org to distros.  I'm not on distros but apparently this
wasn't happening properly so we've recently assigned another person to
help with this.

As you said, the patch was sent to public mailing lists clearly saying
"This is a security bug.". If anything, this should have been forwarded
to oss-security, there's no point to forward to distros when the issue
is a) public and b) clearly marked as security fix.

--
Petr Matousek / Red Hat Security Response Team