oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on a vuln/CVE?

From: Russ Allbery <rra () stanford edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:19:27 -0700

Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com> writes:

We have software with a now insecure configuration as it points to a
site that may or may not be under attacker control. It seems to me like
this might be a candidate for a CVE. Thoughts and comments for and
against are welcome (I'm on the fence myself).

It's possibly worth noting that the repository that was at that site was
signed and had been for some years, and the key was not compromised.  So
not only would the site need to be taken over by an attacker for a
successful exploit, but the affected user would have to ignore the copius
warnings that APT produces when installing packages from an untrusted
archive, or have configured APT to not check repository signatures.

--
Russ Allbery (rra () stanford edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>