oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: About CVE-2012-5645

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 20:48:06 -0700

On 12/21/2012 05:26 PM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
I saw message that Freeciv bug #20003 has been assigned
CVE-2012-5645 : http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2012/q4/484

I'd like to clarify things a bit. It was not single issue, but
more like two separate issues. Most importantly this leads to patch
listed
(http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?view=revision&revision=21670)
to fix only part of the problems described. Something like:

A denial of service flaw was found in the way the server component
of Freeciv, a turn-based, multi-player, X based strategy game,
processed certain packets (invalid packets with whole packet length
lower than packet header size). A remote attacker could send a
specially-crafted packet that, when processed would lead to freeciv
server to terminate (due to memory exhaustion)

The other half: A denial of service flaw was found in the way the
server component of Freeciv, a turn-based, multi-player, X based
strategy game, processed certain packets (syntactically valid
packets, but whose processing would lead to an infinite loop). A
remote attacker could send a specially-crafted packet that, when
processed would lead to freeciv server to become unresponsive (due
to excessive CPU use).

is fixed in
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?view=revision&revision=21701

Both are fixed in 2.3.3 (and patch versions applied to the stable
branch S2_3 release was made from:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?view=revision&revision=21672 ,
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv?view=revision&revision=21703 )

- ML

Hmm I'm waffling here. The issues are the same version/reporter,
roughly the same, can you post the http://cwe.mitre.org/ identifiers
for these two issues? If they are different enough this might warrant
a CVE split but for now I'm leaving it merged.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993