oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request -- kernel: futex: clear robust_list on execve

From: Petr Matousek <pmatouse () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 21:21:05 +0200

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 04:08:17AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
<snip>
Well, if that process itself is multi-threaded (and
other threads are not exiting yet), it possibly can be exploited
(through affecting those other threads).  Is this the only attack
scenario?

This is the attack scenario that I considered when filing this bug, yes.

Do we know of any SUID/SGID/fscaps-privileged multi-threaded
programs?  OK, I suppose that some proprietary ones exist (likely with
plenty of vulnerabilities in them). ;-)

I haven't looked extensively for those. I can imagine such programs, but
I admit I come from Windows world, so I might be a little bit biased.

Petr