oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: Xorg input device format string flaw

From: Kees Cook <keescook () chromium org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:37:21 -0700

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com> wrote:
On 04/18/2012 01:28 PM, Kees Cook wrote:
Hello,

Adding an input device with a malicious name can trigger a format
string flaw in Xorg's logging subsystem. For builds of Xorg
lacking -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 (or 32-bit systems lacking the fix to
fortify[1]) this can lead to arbitrary code execution as the Xorg
user, usually root. When built with fortify, this is a denial of
service, since Xorg will abort.

Proposed solution patch series can be found here: 1/4
http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/10000/ 2/4
http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/9998/ 3/4
http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/9999/ 4/4
http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/10001/

-Kees

[1]
http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=7c1f4834d398163d1ac8101e35e9c36fc3176e6e

So

are you asking for just the device name issue covered in

http://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/10001/

Yeah, but I wanted to point to the entire patch series, since that
fix, I think, depends on pieces from the others.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Chrome OS Security