oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE: Input validation failure affecting multiple KDE applications, as well as many other Qt-based applications

From: Jeff Mitchell <mitchell () kde org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 08:35:23 -0400

On 07/27/2011 04:57 PM, Steven M. Christey wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011, Jeff Mitchell wrote:

The Arora and Rekonq web browsers are also vulnerable to the same attack
vector, and other Qt-based programs may be as well. We're working with
the Qt team to help enhance their documentation to warn developers to
take care sanitizing their inputs, but it's not actually a Qt flaw. So
we're a bit unsure how to proceed here.

This sounds like a limitation of the Qt API, which can be avoided by
programmers who are aware of the limitation.  Kind of like how strcpy()
can be subject to buffer overflows, *if* the programmer isn't careful.
Also happened with confusing return values from certain OpenSSL API
functions a couple years ago.  (The PHP_SELF example is similar.)  So,
this should probably get separate CVEs for each application/library that
misuses the relevant function(s).

That sounds good. On the KDE side, this is kdelibs, Kleopatra, and
Konqueror.

If Qt itself contains misuse of its own functions - which happens
sometimes (CVE-2008-5077 for OpenSSL) - then Qt might need its own CVE,
too.

As far as I'm aware Qt itself is not affected, but we've not done an
exhaustive analysis.

Thanks,
Jeff