oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Suid mount helpers fail to anticipate RLIMIT_FSIZE

From: Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:00:16 -0400

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Tomas Hoger <thoger () redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:13:00 -0400 Dan Rosenberg wrote:

util-linux mount
=============
* Edits /etc/mtab.tmp with custom my_addmntent(), behaves identically
to glibc addmntent() in terms of return code
* Succeeds on partial writes, does not remove temp file on failure
(could result in additional corruption of /etc/mtab through multiple
invocations), does not remove lock file /etc/mtab~ on failure (also an
issue)

Dan, would you mind clarifying the way to achieve mtab corruption via
truncated left-over mtab.tmp file and multiple invocations?  After some
discussion with our util-linux maintainer, we fail to see an obvious
way.  util-linux opens mtab.tmp using "w" fopen open, i.e. using O_TRUNC
open flag.  So if there's any mtab.tmp file found, it's overwritten and
its existence does not block further use of mount / umount as existence
of mtab~ lock file does.

Ah, quite right.  I missed that since I was just doing a quick survey
of a bunch of helpers.  It seems the mtab.tmp file isn't an issue.
Thanks for looking into it.

-Dan

Thank you!

--
Tomas Hoger / Red Hat Security Response Team