oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request -- logrotate -- nine issues

From: Paul Martin <pm () debian org>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:54:19 +0000

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:21:05PM +0100, Jan Kaluža wrote:

I think logrotate should skip rotation of files in unsafe
directories and show error message instead. Logrotate should also
contain something like "--force" switch (this name is already used,
so we have to find better one, but I don't have anything better in
mind just now). With this switch logrotate should *not* skip unsafe
directories and rotate them as it currently does, but show the error
message. Basically it allows backward compatibility.

"--override-unsafe-directory-check" perhaps?  Make it a long option,
so that there is no doubt that the user is doing something that's
potentially dangerous.

(I am following this discussion with great interest.)

--
Paul Martin <pm () debian org>