oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Vendor-sec hosting and future of closed lists

From: Greg KH <greg () kroah com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:58:19 -0800

First off, we are way off-topic from the original topic here, very sorry
about that.

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 08:08:23PM -0500, Dan Rosenberg wrote:
I actually use that traffic to watch out for things that need to make
sure they go into the stable releases.  Those patches are then posted to
stable () kernel org when they are public, so you can watch that list if
you want.

The difference is that distributions and the security community do not
have access to the security () kernel org list.

That is the point of security@ list.  Many people on this very list
asked for this type of alias years ago, so don't go and say that now you
don't want it :)

The goal here to is
bridge that communication gap - perhaps what's really needed is
allowing more representation on the existing list and clarifying and
encouraging policies for when CC'ing security () kernel org is
appropriate, especially in regards to on-the-fence issues.  If
everyone were a bit more conscientious about e-mailing
security () kernel org when appropriate and that list had better
representation from people who can actually coordinate with various
downstream vendors, that would be an improvement.

That is what stable@ can be used for, please feel free to do that there
today.

I think security communication needs to be
improved at the commit level (as opposed to the reporting), since
maintainers are often much more knowledgeable and better able to
understand security impact than the users who are often presenting
issues.

I don't think you understand the rate of change in the kernel and how
trying to do this for every commit is unfeasable and unworkable.  You do
know how fast it goes, right?

Why is CC'ing a security list any more difficult than CC'ing stable?

It's not, but if all you want to do is make sure the patch is applied to
the stable trees as you think it's a potential problem, just copy stable
instead.  That's what happens today.

It's more about giving distributions the option of prioritizing
security patches, and being more transparent about the potential risk
introduced by certain issues.  As you've said, even picking security
fixes out of the stable queue is a substantial amount of work, and
this could be made easier with a bit more openness.

How can we be more open than we are today by showing you _all_ of the
patches that we are deeming as "fixes"?

You want people to somehow magically categorize patches, and that's not
going to happen because it's complicated and usually not known until
after the fact.  Way after the fact.

So again, take a look at stable () kernel org, it shows you all of these
patches and you can start classifying them if you wish to.

thanks,

greg k-h