oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: xpdf

From: Josh Bressers <bressers () redhat com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:32:11 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
I identified two issues in xpdf. I don't think the first requires a
CVE, since it's incredibly unlikely to be exploitable, but I include
it here in case someone disagrees.

1. Due to an integer overflow when parsing CharCodes for fonts and a
failure to check the return value of a memory allocation, it is
possible to trigger writes to a narrow range of offsets from a NULL
pointer. The chance of being able to exploit this for anything other
than a crash is very remote: on x86 32-bit, there's no chance (since
the write occurs between 0xffffffc4 and 0xfffffffc). At least the
write lands in valid userspace on x86-64, but in my testing this
memory is never mapped. Fixed in poppler commit at [1], hopefully
fixed soon at xpdf upstream.

I'm going to give this an ID. Better safe than sorry.
CVE-2010-4653

2. Malformed commands may cause corruption of the internal stack used
to maintain graphics contexts, leading to potentially exploitable
memory corruption. Fixed in poppler commit at [2], hopefully fixed
soon at xpdf upstream.

CVE-2010-4654

[1]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/poppler/poppler/commit/?id=cad66a7d25abdb6aa15f3aa94a35737b119b2659