oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [Security] [oss-security] Re: /proc infoleaks

From: Andrew Morton <akpm () linux-foundation org>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 12:57:14 -0700

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 12:46:56 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm () linux-foundation org> wrote:

We're not going to change the kernel defaults, end of story - that
would break far too much stuff.

That being said, it *might* be acceptable to obfuscate the kernel-side
addresses.  Still print them, but they're all zeroes.  I doubt if many
tools at all are actually using those.  Perhaps a runtime knob which
obfuscates those addresses for unprivileged users, something like that.

That also being said, I'm not seeing any kernel-side addresses in
slabinfo or zoneinfo anyway and I believe some distros already hide
kallsyms.  More specificity is needed.