oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: libesmtp does not check NULL bytes in commonName

From: Brian Stafford <brian () stafford uklinux net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:46:11 +0000

Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Brian Stafford wrote:
I think the best approach is to apply Pawel's patch as this is the

I must have missed that patch. Could you re-post it?
It's available at https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=399131
simplest in terms of changes to the existing code base, and perhaps move to Ludwig's for a later release of libESMTP. In the slightly longer term, I think the internet draft at http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check is the one to follow but this might change substantially or even fall of the rails entirely.

[...] The I-D says only the leftmost component may contain a wildcard but this would rule out *.*.google.com The algorithm I've outlined is really a halfway house between RFC2818, which I think is too flexible, and the I-D; limit the positions of wildcards in the hostname and dont allow elaborate matches within a hostname component. Any ideas or opinions on this would be useful.

Is there a way to comment on the draft? Maybe the author of the
draft didn't think about the cases you'd like to handle.
Normally IETF working groups create a mailing list for discussion of drafts when chartered and any interested party may subscribe. However, as far as I can tell, this I-D is an individual submission; I can't find a mailing list address so probably best to mail the authors directly.
cu
Ludwig

Regards
Brian