oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request: kernel information leak via userspace USB interface

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:41:19 +0100

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:09:15AM +0800, Eugene Teo wrote:
Hi Marcus,

On 02/17/2010 06:29 PM, Marcus Meissner wrote:
While programming a USB device using libusb I found that a usb read from
the device returned data it should not.
[...]
Access to USB userspace devices either requires root access or desktop
user access
via udev/hal ACLs on non-mass-storage Digital Cameras or Media Players.
(So the
desktop user needs to plugin such a ACL getting device before being able
to read the memory).

To abuse this, you will need physical access to plug in a USB device, so
I do not think this should be regarded as a security issue.

Hmm.

Or you exploit the desktop user and then wait until he plugs in such a device
(ok, kind of a theoretical scenario, lets ignore).

Are we considering "giving desktop local users unintended rights"
a security issue or not?

(Hmm, init=/bin/sh booting and pressing reset might come into
 play here too. Then we would not consider that.)

Ciao, Marcus