oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request phpmyadmin (Fwd: XSS in phpMyadmin)

From: Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:50:17 +0200

Am Dienstag 28 Oktober 2008 schrieb Thijs Kinkhorst:
Do we still call things that require register_globals to be on a
'vulnerability'?

Register_globals has been advertised (including in the PHP documentation
of that option) as a very bad idea for many years now, it's turned off by
default since years aswell. Turning it on could be considered as knowingly
taking the risk on a certain class of exploits.

At least Debian doesn't provide any security support for these issues.

I'd think this is okay as a policy for a distribution and agree that it's a
very bad idea to enable register_globals these days (afaik it should go away
in php6 anyway). But anyway a register_globals issue most likely leads to at
least some bad programming practise (using uninitalized variables), I think
it's okay to still track them.

And beside, would be worth a check but I am pretty sure there are still lot's
of webhosters out there having it enabled.

--
Hanno Böck              Blog:           http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20           Jabber/Mail:    hanno () hboeck de

http://x1000malquer.de/ - ab 8.11. Atomtransporte stoppen