oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE request for dnsmasq DoS

From: Jamie Strandboge <jamie () canonical com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:49:53 -0400

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008, Steven M. Christey wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Jamie Strandboge wrote:

Hi,

There is a remote DoS in dnsmasq 2.25 (and presumably earlier) that is
fixed in 2.26. Details can be found at [1]. Can we get a CVE assigned
for this?

I'm not sure I fully understand Thierry Carrez' comment about the security
implications of this issue.  It seems like an exploit would require a
malicious DHCP server, in which case isn't DHCP service already
compromised?  If so, then a crash of dnsmasq (null dereference?) doesn't
seem to be any worse than the loss of DHCP itself.

I haven't had time to develop a PoC, but from the dnsmasq 2.26 announce
page at [1], a client need only send a crafted renewal request to crash
the server. Thierry's comments were only for trying to reproduce the
problem and test the patch.

Jamie

[1] http://freshmeat.net/projects/dnsmasq/?branch_id=1991&release_id=217681

--