Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NPCAP GitHub Security Advisories

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 10:11:51 -0500

I would like to add a clarification on the libpcap CVEs: since libpcap is a
user-mode DLL (wpcap.dll in the Npcap installation), it is not capable of
crashing the entire system. Instead, the impact of any CVEs would be
limited to the application and user that is using the DLL. For specifics on
the particular CVEs addressed, see the libpcap changelog at
https://www.tcpdump.org/libpcap-changes.txt

Dan