Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Extending Npcap

From: Gordon Fyodor Lyon <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2019 13:15:45 -0700

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 11:51 PM Holger Pfrommer <HPfrommer () hilscher com>
wrote:

Cheers,

I’d like to extend Npcap library to support an additional capture device.
Goal is to contribute the code to your nice project so it’ll be available
to the whole public in future.

I already have an (up-to-date) running libpcap implementation for Linux
and also (an older implementation) for WinPcap.

As far as I understood, Npcap is based in libpcap and thus would not
require any separate implementation for Windows?

So what would be the best way to get my code into an upcoming release of
Npcap?

Hi Holger.  I'm glad to hear it!  If your changes are all to libpcap
itself, your best bet is to work with them toward adoption.  Npcap includes
the latest libpcap (1.9.0) now, and we are usually pretty fast to update to
newer libpcap releases as they are made.  They are great maintainers, so we
try to avoid maintaining our own separate changesets wherever possible.

What kind of "additional capture device" does your extension enable?  We
would love to see a link to the changesets when you submit them to the
tcpdump/libpcap group.

Cheers,
Fyodor