Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nse script development

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 16:34:41 -0600

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 03:20:37PM -0700, Richard Lam wrote:
I would like to make an attempt at writing a solution for the NSE scrip
service-os script, from the nmap/script ideas page.

A few questions:

1) Is anyone already working on this?
2) Are there additional suggestions for OS version detection other than
services from Apached (httpd) and OpenSSH?
3) Any additional information I should consider?

1) No one is working on it, as far as I know.

2) I would suggest starting with those two ports, and seeing how far
they can take you.

3) At packages.ubuntu.com (or packages.debian.org) you can see what
version numbers are part of which distributions. So for example at
https://packages.ubuntu.com/disco/apache2 you see in the header
        [xenial] [bionic] [cosmic] [disco] [eoan]
and you can click on them to see what version number goes with each.
There's also a changelog to see when other version numbers for the
distribution may have been.

You could test by running past live CDs in VMs.
http://releases.ubuntu.com/