Nmap Development mailing list archives

[NMAP] Question about service version detection

From: Kushal Ramkumar <kushal.ramkumar () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 16:06:11 +0530

Hi,

I am attempting to run NMAP from a memory constrained device and to profile
the memory footprint of NMAP, I'm running it using valgrind's massif. I had
a couple of questions regarding this and I was hoping someone from the NMAP
team could help me out!

I see that the memory consumed increases as the number of open ports and
the duration of the scan increases. Is this because a data structure is
being populated with probe results (asynchronous I/O) that's growing in
size? The database that is referred to is simply 2.5MB, so that should be
loaded only once onto the RAM right?

Also, is there any way that I can optimize/restrict the maximum amount of
RAM consumed by NMAP? I see that the order of memory consumption (highest
to lowest) is Service Version Detection, OS Detection, TCP & UDP scans.

I have read Chapter 7 <http://I have read Chapter 7, but I didn't get the
answers to my questions.>, but I didn't get the answers to my questions.

I'm very new to NMAP and if this isn't the right place to post the
question, I apologize and request you to point me in the right direction!

Thanks,
Kushal