Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Next Nmap Release?

From: Gordon Fyodor Lyon <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 15:21:04 -0700

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 12:08 PM Daniel Cater <djcater () gmail com> wrote:

Firstly, I know Nmap is free and largely run by volunteers, for which I'm
very grateful.

It has been over a year since Nmap 7.70 was released (March 2018:
https://seclists.org/nmap-announce/2018/0) and I was just wondering if
there are specific features and fixes that are being waited on before the
next release can happen? (E.g. 7.80 or something else).

Hi Daniel.  That's a great question/point, and I'm happy to report that the
wait is over with the new Nmap 7.80 Defcon release:

https://seclists.org/nmap-announce/2019/0

The thing is that Npcap (https://npcap.org) proved much more difficult than
we expected.  Who knew Windows kernel development was so hard?  LOL.
Anyway, we made 15 Npcap releases in between Nmap 7.70 and 7.80.  And while
we still have a lot of really cool Npcap enhancements we want to make, at
least it is very stable now and we feel confident enough to turn more of
our attention back to Nmap proper.  And boy do we have a lot in the
pipeline for that!

The great news is that Npcap is already hugely benefiting Nmap on Windows,
and I love that Wireshark is now using it too!  And we've been able to fund
the Npcap project with the corporate licenses (
https://nmap.org/npcap/#license), so it's in a bunch of other software too.

Anyway, I need to finish preparing for the Defcon Nmap Developer Dinner in
a few hours, but I wanted to pipe up to say the Nmap drought is over and
much more good stuff is coming!

Cheers,
Fyodor