Nmap Development mailing list archives

Ctrl+D to close Ncat?

From: "Loren Amelang" <loren () pacific net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 12:28:52 -0800

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but it seems valid to me. I just discovered Ncat as a way to manually send
short text commands from my new Linux machine to the 20 year old microcomputer that runs my off-grid house. Nowhere in
the User's Guide, man pages, or Google searches could I find any clues about the proper way to manually close my raw
TCP session!

After 45 minutes of searching, I found one "superuser" answer suggesting Ctrl+D was the proper way to close a netcat
session. Tried it here on Ncat and it seems to do the same thing as Ctrl+C. Is one or the other preferable?

I don't, but if I needed to send Ctrl+C or Ctrl+D to the remote host, is there a way?

Is there a reason the close procedure is such a mystery?

Thanks,

Loren

| Loren Amelang | loren () pacific net |