Nmap Development mailing list archives

Status report for Rewanth - #1 of 16

From: Rewanth Cool <ravatheruler4 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 23:12:39 +0530

Hello,

This is my first status report as a GSOC candidate. I'm familiar to few of
the regular developers as I made few PR's and posted some PoC's in this
mailing list. I would like to introduce myself a GSOC candidate to the
community once again.

Myself Rewanth, currently pursuing B.Tech 3rd year in NIT Kurukshetra,
India with Computer Engineering as a major. I will be continuing my B.Tech
4th year in the same college which commences from August '17. I'm currently
a part of GAWDS <http://gawds.in/> in our college, a small team which
comprises of students who are passionate about doing something different
(technical stuff) in college apart from the regular schedule.

Coming to my work experience in this real world, I had done 3 summer
internships last year concurrently. Two of them were related to security
and one was related to web development. About the internship profiles in
short.

1. Security Engineer and Adviser for Oxcean - Patch the vulnerabilities in
their website and cloud services.
2. Full Stack Web Developer Intern at Appyfest - Upgrading their existing
website to new level by adding new features and optimizing the existing
ones.
3. Associate Security Researcher at Provensec - Developed an Automated Web
Vulnerability Scanner as a commercial product.

Apart from these I had done freelancing also in both web development and
web application security. There are many other accomplishments and projects
developed by me but the mail would get longer if I mention all of them here.

Coming back to work, I'm passionate to contribute to Nmap which I have been
using since 3 long years. I also started contributing to Nmap and Ncat
recently. I had written few NSE scripts, made enhancements, resolved few
issues, etc.
My mentor is Daniel Miller and I will be working for several positions like
Script Developer, Feature Creeper, Script Optimizer.

High priority tasks in my todo list (Subjected to change)
* Enable autocomplete feature for --script-args option which displays the
available arguments for every script.
* Enable colored output for Nmap.
* Optimize the existing scripts.

This is my first weekly GSOC report.

Todo list for the following week:
* I will be doing research on what other improvements can be made to
auto-complete feature to make it more useful.
* I will be writing small modules which enables the colored output in Nmap.
* I will be studying the codebase thoroughly to check which scripts are
subjected to optimization. This takes few more weeks to submit a complete
report as there are more than 570 scripts in Nmap.

Thank You Nmap for giving me this wonderful opportunity.

Best regards,
Rewanth.