Nmap Development mailing list archives

Performance Improvement Request - Stop a host currently being scanned through runtime interaction

From: Sam Hamid <samhamid () live com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 02:32:43 +0000

Request:
Is it possible to add a feature to allow users to stop\skip, or maybe even add, a specific host after a scan is
initiated?

For example: Similar to pressing d or v to increase the debugging or verbosity levels while a scan is running, maybe
pressing a key (s for example) followed by an IP address to stop scanning that specified IP address and a key (a for
example) followed by an IP address to add that IP to the list of hosts to scan.

The reason I ask this is because I ran into a situation where I scanned a /24 subnet and all hosts completed fairly
quickly but 1 host took almost as long as all the other hosts combined. I didn't want to stop the scan so that I don't
lose my progress. Having an option like this could have saved me some time and I think it could be valuable to others.

Thanks,
Sam.