Nmap Development mailing list archives

Call for translators: Nmap man page

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 23:48:29 -0600

Hello!

The pride and centerpiece of Nmap's extensive documentation is the Nmap
Reference Guide, also known as the man page. Nmap's man page is one of the
most thorough software manuals out there; on my Linux system, only gcc,
bash, and rsync have more words, beating out screen, lsof, and gpg. Since
2005, Nmap has also had one of the most extensively translated manuals: 15
languages in addition to English [1].

Unfortunately, many of those translations have not been updated in the last
decade. Nmap development has continued, and there are lots of great new
features that ought to be accessible to our international users in their
own languages. In most cases, the amount of text to be translated is not
that much, since the bulk of the material has remained the same. But some
small changes are important: the shift from milliseconds to seconds in most
of the timing options comes to mind.

If you have enjoyed the use of Nmap's documentation in a language other
than English, please consider helping us update these translations.
Instructions can be found at https://nmap.org/xlate-faq.html . Two years
ago, a similar call for Zenmap translation updates [2] was very successful,
and I'm hoping we have similar success with this effort.

Thanks, and happy scanning!
Dan

[1] https://nmap.org/docs.html#refguide
[2] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q4/226