Nmap Development mailing list archives

Does npcap completely replace Winpcap? Unistallation WinpCap for other tools (e.g. Wireshark) possible?

From: "Ben Stover" <bxstover () yahoo co uk>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 14:30:40 +0200

As I noticed npcap is released with new nmap tool.

It claims to be better than the "old" Winpcap driver.

So if I install npcap: Does it completely replace the Winpcap driver - even for other progams?

As you know the well known tool "Wireshark" uses Winpcap.

So if I uninstall Winpcap driver to have only ONE capture driver does Wireshark accept this or does it stop working?

A complete replacement should only work if the API ist full downwards compatible.
Is this the case?

Is npcap the official successor of Winpcap or a fork?

Thx
Ben