Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: I need a replacement for AutoScan Network

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:44:04 -0600

Todd,

Thanks for inquiring. I'm not sure exactly how AutoScan Network does this,
so I don't know the best way to replace that function. But here are some
ideas:

* The targets-sniffer script will sniff for packets on the network
interface and report the IPs it detects. This can be done without
specifying IP addresses on the command line. If you add `--script-args
newtargets` these IPs will be added to the scan queue, but if they are
outside the configured network they will not route properly.
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-sniffer.html

* The broadcast-listener script is a similar concept, but does decoding of
broadcasts received. https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/broadcast-listener.html

* You may be able to make broadcast-ping work, but it may not because of
network prefixes. https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/broadcast-ping.html

* You can do IPv6 discovery, which is not dependent on IPv4 network
configuration. The various targets-ipv6-multicast-* scripts can get IPv6
back into Nmap (or the newtargets script-arg used) for host discovery
(-sn), which will produce the MAC address of each. Comparing these MAC
addresses with ones you get from an IPv4 scan of your intended network
space will show devices that are not configured for that IPv4 network.
https://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-mld.html and others.

If AutoScan Network is using some other method for doing this discovery,
I'd be very interested to know. I downloaded the source, but all the
identifiers and comments are in French, so I have a harder time figuring
out what's going on than usual.

Dan