Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to compile the docs of Nmap (DocBook XML) on Ubuntu?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 08:00:18 -0700

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 05:20:02PM +0800, 食肉大灰兔V5 wrote:
Hi list,

I'm currently using Ubuntu 14.04 to compile Nmap docs by following the guide
here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DocBook

I successfully built the hello world in that guide. Then I pasted one doc file
(https://github.com/nmap/nmap/blob/ad5909f807ce2ba8c5408e7500e627d0d2486148/
ncat/docs/ncatguide.xml) into my XML file (test.xml) and compiled. It gave me
the following error:

root@ubuntu:/# xsltproc -o test.html /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/
xhtml/docbook.xsl test.xml
test.xml:3: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
<sect1 id="ncat-overview">
^
unable to parse test.xml

I guess there's something wrong with my setting up. How to setup the build
environment for DocBook XML of Nmap and how to compile it? Thanks.

You need to compile a wrapper XML file (that includes the <?xml> and
DOCTYPE and everything), not just the file that contains the <sect1> and
documentation.

See here, ncatguidehtml.xml includes ncatguide.xml:
https://github.com/nmap/nmap/blob/ad5909f807ce2ba8c5408e7500e627d0d2486148/ncat/docs/ncatguidehtml.xml