Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap and drones

From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 21:07:03 -0400

On Apr 3, 2016 11:12 AM, "Mike ." <dmciscobgp () hotmail com> wrote:

hello

so i am asking this mainly out of interest. has anyone used nmap in
relation to drones? do they use the same type of network layout
(ports/address/etc) that conventional wireless uses? so is it even possible
to use wireless and scan a drone? using fuzzers and various data feeds to
see what would happen and reaction would be quite interesting (and i'm sure
QUITE expensive if you had a bad result lol) anyway, are there any nmap
matches for drone protocols?

AFAIK, at a very high level - wrong tool for the job. There are a half
dozen drone communications protocols (probably a Wikipedia article on it).
I'm pretty sure all of them are layer <2. Nmap is layer >3. I think what
you want to Google is "SDR fuzzing" and probably start with cheaper ($20)
drones. Actually, people have blogged garage door openers to death, so I'd
probably look on eBay or whatever for a cheap remote unit for something of
that sort and start there and then move on.

Again note - there's no need to guess. There's an FCC ID on this stuff and
most (AFAIK not Phantom) protocols are open. And *lots* of cheap drones
(that you don't have to register in the US) whose protocols should be
simpler.

HTH